Prev: Re: [FT] GZG Model Scale Next: Stealth, with feeling. (looong)

Re: [FT] GZG Model Scale

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:16:09 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] GZG Model Scale

Back on the list after a break for Xmas / New Year - hope I haven't
missed anything
important.

Steven Arrowsmith wrote:

> > Ta for the info. Interesting, this means they are very light for
their
> > volume, more like aircraft construction than ship. Which makes sense
> > suppose... but makes the USS Enterprise look rather compact in
> > comparison.
> >

> Thats depends on how you look at it, the Enterprise is a Heavy
Cruiser, so
> compare it to lets say a ESU Gorshkov heavy cruiser, it looks fine,
but if
> you compare it to a FSE Jeanne D'Arc Fleet Carrier, then it becomes
> compact.. ;)

Depends on which Enterprise you mean as well ... I read this to refer to
the modern
aircraft carrier, in which case they seem OK. The models were originally
(before
FT2 was even published !) advertised as being 1/3000th scale, which is a
scale
popular in the UK for naval wargaming.

At a nominal 1/2400th scale, the real USS Enterprise would be around
140mm long but
only 32mm wide. It weighs in at around 90000 tonnes which is MASS 900,
which is
where the comparison breaks down somewhat :-(. In which case we come
back to the
previously discussed 'what is a tonne ...' argument. So yes, I concur,
FT ships are
rather light for their size. If one MASS was taken to be 1000 tonnes
rather than
100, however, the comparison isn't to far out.

Tony Francis

Prev: Re: [FT] GZG Model Scale Next: Stealth, with feeling. (looong)