Prev: Re: [LST] GZGE Request Next: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

From: "Stop the car?? This is a car chase! I went through considerable trouble to set this up." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:54:47 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

Thomas Anderson writes:
>On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, kochte (under another ridiculous pseudonym) wrote:

Hey, I just try and keep y'all entertained.  :)   (only change it once
a week)

>>			 NAC Fleet Rsoter
>
>one or two comments.
>
>(a) it looks pretty cool. looks suitably inhomogenous to be real!

Well, like I said, I patterned it strongly after the US Naval Fleet
Organization. I wish I could find books on fleet organizations of
other countries (might be able to find them at libraries, but haven't
had any time to look :-/ )

>(b) you seem to have used american names, with just one or two
exceptions!
>surely you can spare a battlegroup or two to be called "Prince of
Wales"
>or "Royal Oak"?

Be fair, Citizen G'Kar! I used a mix of UK, US, and Other. Things like
Agamemnon, Vistula, Normandy, and Vinson Massif are definitely not
American
names. ;-)  Besides, I only had so many given groups to work with. I
don't
think there are any more SDN-types and Big Carriers in the NAC fleet,
despite
what Jon said that this is just a sampling of each fleet - there are
only so
many variants you can do on a Mass carrier!  :)

I actually put "Prince of Wales" in my (personal) list of
Excalibur-class BDNs.

>> o CLs and CEs were included in Destroyer Squadrons as CLs are seen as
Large
>>   Destroyers (or Destroyer Leaders, or 'capital ship' destroyers),
>
>is that common? i note the NRE have destroyer leaders. is this how
current
>navies operate, an/or is there a good reason for this pattern?

Command and control. This gives the squadron a 'flagship' and/or a ship
akin to a 'capital' ship which is the squadron leader. This isn't
totally
100% how current navies operate. So not all squadrons have CLs and CEs.
Again, I *patterned* this after the US Org charts I have access to, and
took some liberties with class designations (ie, I 'let' normal DDs
remain
DDs, but specialized or newer DDs which in contemporary standards are
akin
to cruisers became CLs and/or CEs; often, though, I just added CEs to a
squadron to give them some limited anti-missile/fighter capabilities for
the group). These same liberties I took for cruiser-destroyer groups
(hence
the inclusion of BCs)

I did not consult the NRE stats before doing this (and as I mentioned in
my original posting, I'd actually been fussing with this since early
last
year, so recent threads of national fleet organizations had no influence
in how the NAC Roster I put together was done - only influence it had
was
to spur me on to *get* it done! :)

>i'll admit
>that my current fleet has two "independant squadrons" of CL + 2FF, but
>that's because i only have two CL and four FF and can't fit them in
>anywhere else ...

heh  :)

>> DDH - A specialized heavy/attack destroyer, the TUFFLEYs were
designed to
>> operate in packs,
>
>funny, i've only ever seen one at once ...

:-)

I was kinda thinking of the few conventions I've been to and ran FT
games at;
I've usually gotten descended upon by a 'pack' of FTers.  :-)  Call it a
tip
of the hat nod to the list. Ship names for this class come from names of
people
on the list (eg, HAN, DAVIS, TESKE, ISENBERG, BELL, GUNDBERG, FIELD,
etc)

Mk
-
During the run-and-fight-and-run-again battle through this forest of
horror,
she is finally cornered. Her weapons have been left deep in the bodies
of the
slain or broken against the granite-hard scales of these snakes that are
not
snakes. Her stand to the death must be fought here. Though her only
weapons
are her hands and her deep and wide knowledge of the slayers, she does
not
fear them. They will die. Of this she is sure.

Prev: Re: [LST] GZGE Request Next: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)