Prev: Re: [FT] It's back on-topic Re: [OT] SFB - The Deal is finally done Next: Re: Modular Freighters (was Re: FB - Thrust Ratings for Freighters)

Re: GW to GZG Evangelism, was Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:56:42 +1000
Subject: Re: GW to GZG Evangelism, was Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

G;'day guys,

>>i've been pondering on gw -> gzg migration paths recently....
>
>1) First realize that DS2 has a different feel that FT--substantially
more
>complex (my opinion but other people on the list have also said it),
>different mechanisms.
>2) Decide which you'd like to lure him into--if it was me, it'd be FT.
>3) "Hey, I need to play out a scenario for a campaign game, and I don't
want
>to take both sides, could you help me out for an hour or so?"
>4) Bring your best looking mini's or ask him to bring his own (unlike
what
>I'd do, but There Will Be Paint, sooner or later.  Probably Later.  The
fact
>that I have 4 year old unpainted lead has nothing to do with this....).
>5) Make sure his side wins (use Indy's dice).

Derek and I have managed to convert/subvert at least 8 GW players over
the
last 6 months. First up we got them interested in FT or ESFB and then
followed with
SG, DS and some other fantasy and historical games we play (e.g. Piquet,
DBM, Hordes of Things etc.). All we really did was rock up to their
gaming
club
and start to play (obviously having enormous fun playing what was a very
quick
game to them). However, if I had to put my finger on what converted this
lot it would
be two things (a) our minatures were actually painted and (more
importantly)
(b) our entire fleets cost less than one unit (sad to say the $ was the
bottom line there).
I'd also have to agree with the last point here, make sure they have a
good
showing
(i.e. use Indy's (or my) dice or dumb down your tactics or miss
opportunities etc.) -
there's nothing like a win to sweeten them up (its not necessary for
everyone,
but for a few its crucial). Does that give you any ideas/hope?

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au