Prev: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios Next: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:41:56 -0600
Subject: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> Well, I was impressed in spite of myself.
>
> (and it was nice to finally meet Aaron Teske in the flesh,
> a rather handsom tall gentleman)

	You should make an effort to come to GenCon... quite a few of
this list
members make an appearance.

> First off, the miniatures are gorgeous!  They were not much
> like the the cardboard punch-outs in White Dwarf #225,
> they more resembled the concept drawings and ship miniatures
> in the article. You can see one in the illustration at
> http://www.games-workshop.com/newreleases/battlefleet.html

	Excuse me... <Click.... connection made.... loading.....>

	Droooooooooollllll :-)..

> Like Aaron observed, they were just *made* for drybrushing.
> Lots of very deep detail, with raised fretwork.

	Makes sense, given the dark, "gothic" nature of the universe.
So, you
would recomend a coat of black and just drybrush the various colors on,
yes?

> We figure that given Pudding Workshop's history of pricing,
> some people will by the boxed set and throw away the rules,
> so they can get a price break on a set of minis.

	Even if no one plays the game in my neighborhood (see my rant on
rec.games.miniatures.misc on this topic) the ships and the info
presented will be great for FT.

> The actual game is due to come out in Easter, for about
> $50-$60.  It will come with 4 imperial ships and 4 chaos
> ships.

	Only eight ships?  Metal or plastic?  How about other components
like
fighter and torpedos?

> The gameplay was pretty fast.  With a crowd of 8 novices
> who had just heard a quick run-through of the rules,
> they managed to play about 3 turns in 30 minutes, and
> were playing faster after that as they got the hang of it.

	Well, that a good indication.  K.I.S.S.

> I did like the illustration of hundreds of slaves dragging
> a missile into the launch tube.  The missile was about
> fifty feet in diameter.

	Did they have Charlton Heston below, pulling oars. ;-)

	"Number 569,241... what is your name?"

> There was a "naval" feel to the game, with a lot of
> attempts to "cross the T".  Heading straight at
> an enemy gives the enemy the most favorable chance to
> hit you.  This is why Imperial ships have stronger
> nose armor.

> The naval feel comes from the fact that most weapons
> fire to the port and starboard, broadsides as it were.

	That's what I do like about BG, and even Space Fleet.  The whole
Sci-Fi/Greeco-Roman feel to it.

> Aaron asked Andy Chambers (the designer) about Full Thrust.
> Andy's main comment was he didn't care for the pre-written
> movement orders in FT.  Battlefleet Gothic therefore uses
> the old "Player A moves and fires, then Player B moves
> and fires".

	Did he say why he didn't care for pre-written orders?

	I wonder if GW would ever had considered re-doing BG if FT and
the boom
in starship combat games hadn't come about?  Oh well, better now than
never.
--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	"[When people] say 'let's do something about it,'
they mean 'lets get hold of the political machinery so that
we can do something to somebody else.' And that somebody is
invariably you."
					--Frank Chodorov

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios Next: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report