Prev: Re: [SG2] Periscope (was: Urban combat) Next: Re: Kinda [OT]Re: Battlefleet Gothic Demo Day

Re: Planet-Based Fighters

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:25:19 -1000
Subject: Re: Planet-Based Fighters

>Re: Jared's edurance cost/booster pack solution:
>    That's great. Should work well.
>
>As for Los's comments, that why I was initially thinking they way I was
>- the difference between say the space-only Starfury and the
>atmosphere/space Thunderbolt. On the one hand, I think FT's level of
>abstraction should allow Jared's simplified rule. On the other hand,
>requiring planet based fighters to be their own breed is also logical
>and an easy change to make.

Well, to throw in a shameless plug, check out my Modular fighter rules
of the
UFTWP (Mark's page).  I will be sending an updated version to Mark
either today
or tomorrow that includes streamlining option (cost +1, eff +1), Large
Fighters
(cost 2, eff -1, 4 per squadron), FTL, Submunition, and Booster packs.

>Hmph, I can see compelling rationale either way. Now I'm stuck again.

>Oerjan wrote:
>> Unless you pay for the ground base as well (treat as a fragile-hulled
>> "carrier" with no engines and no systems except the bay), I doubt a
mere
>> 12 pts would be sufficient to balance them :-(

Certainly not in a one-off game, but...

>Ah, there's the rub. One of the rationales for planet-based fighters is
>cheap defense - not to have to build an entire ship around the
fighters.
>I suppose for balance you _would_ have to pay for a fighter base of
some
>kind, though. An equivalent cost in points, at least. Thugh here's
where
>we can start addressing the sticky distinction between point costs for
>game balance and point costs for ship construction. You _could_ base 10
>fighter squadrons an a salt flat with a couple barracks and currugated
>plastic hangars at a truly minimum actual cost, but the _balance_ cost
>would pretty much like having a thrust 0 CV with 10 squadrons floating
>in space. This is only important if you're trying to work Economics
into
>your game, though. But if you are, planet-based fighters look to be
>vastly superior to carrier based, construction-cost wise, for planetary
>defense.

Fixed defenses on my planet should cost less than your Fleet with the
same
firepower.  Common sense.  What is insane is to play a game with equal
points
where one side has nothing but ground based fighter.  Simply recognizing
the
difference and building it into the scenario fixes this - Though
admittedly
there will be some tinkering to get the fight balance.	By how much must
the
attacking force outnumber the defenders (point-wise) in order to win?
Dunno,
but someone could have fun finding out!

Jared

Prev: Re: [SG2] Periscope (was: Urban combat) Next: Re: Kinda [OT]Re: Battlefleet Gothic Demo Day