Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Background questions

Re: [FT]Twilight Imperium Campaigns

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:52:13 +1300
Subject: Re: [FT]Twilight Imperium Campaigns

Christopher Pratt <valen@gatecom.com> wrote:
>I think a thousand is prolly way toooooo much...remember that we have
play
>out these battle with minitures later :)
>I'd have to look at the costs for ships agian, but if i remember right
>dreadnought is 10 credits, so my thinking went along the lines of 500
FT
points
>for a dreadnought, thus 50 points for 1 credit.
>we would also have to come up with a R&D system to incorporate the
weapons
and
>such from full thrust.
    I was thinking of the carrier ability of carrying 8/10 ground
forces,
planetary defence systems and fighter group units and thinking how big
they
are so they could be built using the Full Thrust Fleet Book. Which
explains
why I suggested about a 1000 points per credit.
    But now on second thought, if we assume that it's not one carrier,
but a
bunch of cheap "tin can" transports carrying the ground forces,
planetary
defence forces and fighter groups, which don't really cost much and are
incorporated into the ground forces costs, perhaps. But that sounds a
little
too odd.
    On third thought, perhaps we could discard the credits to Twilight
Imperium units to Full Thrust units, and use a 1 credit to 50 or 100
FT:FB
points like you say. It gives a wider range of forces to field, but
eliminates some of the racial advantages/disadvantages for star fleet
combat. For example, the Jol Nar would loose their -1 penalty in combat,
and
so would the Letnev loose their +1 bonus in combat for having a trade
agreement.
    Another alternative (fourth thought?) is let the ship counters
represent
any fixed number of credits. So you could have units worth any where
from 1
credit to, say, 15 credits. This would mean that that counter is worth X
points in a FT:FB battle. This means new counters would have to be made
up.
And this means that their hyperlight or star system to star system
travel
distance will be the same. No difference between fighter (with high
tech),
cruiser, dreadnought and carrier FTL speed. It also means that the
Twilight
Imperium tech chart becomes almost worthless.
    Perhaps a second cost to the fleet unit to represent FTL fleet
speed?
Normal cost = 1 hex. +50% = 2 hex, +100% = 3 hex?

    Any opinions, comments, suggestions?

>sounds like a fun game though
    Yes. We had to stop (getting tooo late) just before I won! :-) We'll
probably play some more this next weekend. I hope to get back to the
stage
of building 6 dreadnoughts a turn and placing them on my home planet
straight away with "Master of Production"!

Andrew Martin
-------------
ICQ #:26227169
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
 http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yojimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/
Marvel Super Heroes: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/MSH/
MSH World Builders Guidebook:
 http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/MSH/WBG/

Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Background questions