Prev: Re: NRE, IF and Alarishi designs Next: Re: NRE, IF and Alarishi designs, was Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:33:20 +1000
Subject: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Have to agree with Dean. We've seen and concurred that, given the
> nature of FT, it makes little sense to build escorts as a war machine
> (they may have other reasons to exist such as scouting, showing the
> flag in peacetime etc) and that they should be left behind when
> serious battle is joined. They pop usually long before they are in
> range

I only agree to an extent: FT3's introduction of SMLs makes escorts that
truly ESCORT the Big Fellas absolutely essential. Otherwise you find 6
SMLs converging on your Battleship, rather than a corvette.
This technique is known as "Banzi Jamming" and is used in modern naval
combat. The idea being that the 200+ Vampires inbound have a multitude
of targets to go for, rather than all coming in on the Carrier.
It's not popular with Frigate crews for some reason.

> > I think that DDs and smaller should not be used as initial attack
wave in a
> > battleline type of scenario.  They should be used to finish off
damaged
> > ships, make overwhelming attacks when the situation dictates, and
keep other
> > escorts from getting too close to your main ships.

I partially agree with this one too. Given closing speeds of about 12-18
each for 2 fleets,  it should be possible for thrust 6 escorts to take
one round of fire at 25"+, then be through the opposition, and ready to
do some serious decelerating and turning to get on their 6.
Very good tactic against the NSL.
Having some escorts some 6-12" behind the main line of battle means the
"breakthough" tactic runs into a buzz saw.

And if the fleets don't have that high closing rate, SMLs come into
their own.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: NRE, IF and Alarishi designs Next: Re: NRE, IF and Alarishi designs, was Re: [FT] Hardened Systems