Prev: Re: Directional screens (armor dropped) Next: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:32:57 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

>Try it out for yourself. With 50% extra Mass for hardened systems, a
ship
>with all its systems hardened usually passes its 3rd treshold check on
>about the same time the standard ship passes its second, and the
standard
>ship usually don't have to take a third check before it destroys the
>hardened ship.

OK, I will.

>With 25% extra Mass, the two are so closely balanced that things like
>maneuvering, random initiative (worth approx. 10% extra firepower in
any
>turn, at least in smaller battles - I haven't kept detailed enough
notes
>in bigger battles to know) and plain luck (Teske Fields or Kochte
Demons,
>your choice :-) decides the outcome instead.

OK

>Add all hardened systems together, then round up. Even 0.25 should
round
>up - otherwise you're getting the hardening for free, which you
>shouldn't.

This I question. I would prefer to be able to do things on a per-system
basis. It keeps things clean and simple, and allows ship design without
spreadsheet.

>Balance-wise, they should ideally be exactly as effective as their
normal
>counterparts... if they're *less* effective, I see no reason to use
them.
>The few times when they save me from really rotten luck won't hide the
>many times they lose me the battle instead <shrug>

Good point. Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I agree entirely on
the balance concept. What I should have said was that they need an
adequate
"minus" to balance the "plus." This is why we're arguing the mass
penalties
et. al. ;-)

Schoon

Prev: Re: Directional screens (armor dropped) Next: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped