Prev: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped Next: Re: [FT] Re: Curing the fighter blues and Warpwar(Metagaming)

[FT] Re: Curing the fighter blues and Warpwar(Metagaming)

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:29:41 -0600
Subject: [FT] Re: Curing the fighter blues and Warpwar(Metagaming)

I definitely like this, as I have often stated my preference to keeping
the
main rules as are, and this seems to be a campaign rather than battle
consideration.

You could even flesh out a die table (1-expanding cloud of gas, 2-pilot
scragged/parts available for spares or intellegence 'depending on who
holds
the field', 3-pilot ejected/fighter trashed, 4-pilot ejected/fighter
parts,
5-pilot ejected/fighter repairable with spares, 6-pilot in fighter which
is
intact, merely off-line). You could expand to a 2d6 or 3d6 chart for a
bell
curve of possibilities, or separate die rolls for the fighter and the
pilot... I have to stop now; the little man in my head is laughing
maniacally.

As a side note, on rec.games.board, someone commented on doing Warpwar
as a
PBeM, and I mentioned thinking it might be good as a campaign setting
for
FT. So far, no replies, but the idea I had was to take the diceless
combat
table, make its cross-reference results be whether fleets would actually
meet in battle, based on the limited intel they'd have as they were
approaching, possibly adjusting results based on comparative 'fleet
speeds'. Any comments?

The_Beast

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@aimnet.com> on 01/15/99 10:32:12 AM

Please respond to gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

 To:	  gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

 cc:	  (bcc: Doug Evans/CSN/UNEBR)

 Subject: Re: Curing the fighter blues

>20th century analogs aside, I think fighter attrition is too high in FT
>for the _feel_ I would like. But their combat effectiveness is just
>fine, IMHO. In order to have the feel I'd like, I need to keep overall
>fighter power similar, but reduce attrition.
>I see two ways of doing this - one more cosmetic, the other a game
>variation.

[snip]

There's actually another, simpler way of going at this. After the
battle,
simply roll a d6 for each fighter that was destroyed to determine its
ultimate fate. That messes with the rules least of all, and still gives
the
possibility the the pilots punched out before the big kablooey.

Schoon