Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: vector format fleet emblems

Re: Directional screens (armor dropped)

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:08:44 -0000
Subject: Re: Directional screens (armor dropped)

On 14 Jan 99, at 22:07, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> Once again, getting to those weakened screens/armor is easier said
than
> done using the vector system. Even using cinematic movement, it's
usually
> not too hard to figure which arcs are likely to be hit.

Just a thought... and potentially not easy to do, have an open
formation that allows you to surround the enemy... also, I'd be very
tempted to say that SML's and MT missiles may be bright enough
to drop on the least shileded portions.... or to gauge their attack
vector as being from their placement point, allowing the launching
player to perhaps manage to hit unshielded regions.

> >Impact to complexity: Effectively _none_ - You can measure incoming
arcs as
> >easily as fire arcs.  You can see at a glance exactly what shields
are
> >operational, so level of defense is clear-cut.
>
> Almost true. I agree that one more arc estimation is not that bad.
However,
> you're not including the time it will take to allocate shields, the
> increased time to figure the best defensive posture with arced
> shields/armor.

I think the idea is that it is done at the ship design stage, not
configurable during or perhaps even before combat.

Life is very important to Americans.
     Bob Dole, U.S. Senator from Kansas

Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: vector format fleet emblems