Prev: Re: OT was Re: [DSII] Reactive armour Next: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

Re: [FT] Shields and Screens

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:46:52 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Shields and Screens

>Shield Generators are rated anywhere from 1 to 6 points; this rating is
>equal to the amount of damage that the shield can absorb each turn.
>
>ANY damage that a ship suffers from an attack is first applied to its
>shields, regardless of the source of this damage.

This seems a little unbalancing unless they're going to have an
extremely
hefty mass and pricetag as well.

>A successful Needle Beam attack against a shielded ship will do One
>point of damage to the shield.

Likewise, this virtually eliminates the Needle Beam as an effective
weapon.
I would say that Needles would either be unaffected by shields (it's
tough
enough to hit with one of those suckers) or cause an immediate threshold
check.

>Each point of damage that a shield stops reduces its strength by one
>point.
>
>Any damage that exceeds the shield rating is applied to the ship, as
>normal.
>
>Every time that a shield's rating is exceeded, the Shield Generator
must
>make a threshold check.  If this check is failed, the generator goes
>down, and must be repaired before it can function again--Damage Control
>parties will be capable of these repairs.

A check at what level? Same as the ship's current damage track would be
my
guess, but I still think that makes them a bit too effective.

>Any shield that has a functioning Shield Generator may attempt to
>regenerate its shields-this attempt occurs at the beginning of the
turn,
>before Orders are written.
>
>To regenerate a shield, the player must roll one die.
>	 1-2 One Point is recovered.
>	3-4 Two Points are recovered.
>	5-6 Three Points are recovered.

At longer ranges, this will make damaging a shielded ship virtually
impossible without concentrated fleet firepower, and force a close
engagement. It also favors SMLs, Scatterguns, and other weapons which do
much better at closer ranges.

Schoon

Prev: Re: OT was Re: [DSII] Reactive armour Next: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems