Prev: Re: [FT] Shields and Screens Next: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: "By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:14:31 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

>My only other comment is to the other person who didn't like
>hardened systems at all, citing that sensors etc. cannot be
>hardened as they need to have their sensing apparatus vulnerable
>to weaponry in order to operate, is missing the point that hardening
>may not only be armour, but could be localised intense shielding.

Well, since I happen to be online at the moment, and because you
are, I believe, referring to my earlier post, I get to respond (yay).

It has been stated (not in this thread, but elsewhere, earlier, by
Jon T and others) that threshold checks do not necessarily represent
damage done directly by weapons fire, but also represent overloading
and short-circuiting of the systems that took threshold 'hits'. I
always found it amusing that people would describe the fact that their
C Battery (or now Class-1 batt) would be "blown off" or "explode" from
a threshold hit, and then later have damage control repair it!	:)
Now, if a given system has been slagged by weapons fire, how can it be
repaired by a damage control team in the heat of battle, without the
resources of a shipyard? Also, extra armour or localized intense
shielding will not help short-circuiting inside the ship.  ;-)

Anyway, my point really is that I feel the hardening/non-hardening
aspects have already been abstracted *into* the game; no need to
add another layer to it all, really.

But then, ymmv	:)

>(eww, entirely too many comma's)

heh  :)

Mk
-
Dr T: "I'm speechless"

Indy: "No you're not; you're still talking"

Prev: Re: [FT] Shields and Screens Next: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems