Prev: Re: OT was Re: [DSII] Reactive armour Next: Re: [FT] Shields and Screens

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:57:17 -0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

On 14 Jan 99, at 19:07, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> <sigh> OK, a very compacted version of the correct statistics:

Heh, I just started doing the statistics correctly too, but decided to
read more posts just in case someone beat me to it. :)

> The cumulative chance to lose a system is
>
> 1st: 16.7%
> 2nd: 100% - 83%*66% = 44.4%
> 3rd: 100% - 83%*66%*50% = 72.2%
>
> ie, the probabilities are multiplicative and not additive.

[snippage]

> So, if you get ~25% more use out of the system, the mass penalty
should
> be 25%. Simple as that :-)

Ok, you got the stats right, but I think you are misinterpreting
them....

Hardened systems cannot fail at all until the second threshold
check, which means you don't have to worry about them failing at
all until almost half the ships hits are gone, as opposed to a
quarter. In the early part of a fight this is a major bonus. For
selected systems it seems rather cost effective. Two firecons that
don't even have a chance of being destroyed until the ship is half
gone, and will probably both still be active when the ship
vapourises, compared to three firecons for the same price.

So, to summarise... REALLY good early in a battle, you can't lose
them except to needle beams/missiles (and emp missiles
perhaps?). Whether that early advantage can be brought into play
is something I'll try to find in playtesting.

It seems to me that for a small ship which you would normally only
give a single firecon to, but wouldn't consider running to two, the
hardened option is quite attractive. (i.e. 1 firecons ships become
totally useless if it goes down.

I'd not consider hardening everything on a ship en masse, keeping
the same points per ship means your firepower vanishes, but for
critical systems it seems like a good idea, and a good price.

My only other comment is to the other person who didn't like
hardened systems at all, citing that sensors etc. cannot be
hardened as they need to have their sensing apparatus vulnerable
to weaponry in order to operate, is missing the point that hardening
may not only be armour, but could be localised intense shielding.

(eww, entirely too many comma's)

Can't act. Can't sing. Balding. Can dance a little.
     MGM summary of a screen test by some guy named Fred Astaire

Prev: Re: OT was Re: [DSII] Reactive armour Next: Re: [FT] Shields and Screens