Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems: Bah, Humbug. Directional armor: Cool Next: Re: Directional armor & shields

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:40:23 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

Dean Gundberg wrote:

> ... I wondered if anyone had house rules on
> Hardened Systems or System Armour?

[snip]

> Is the 50% increase about right or too much since 2 hardened systems
> cost and mass the same as 3 systems?	What do you think?

For systems (weapons, FCs, screens etc) 50% is way too much. In these
cases, hardened systems should have 25% extra Mass and "softened" ones
(ie, systems which add 1 to all treshold rolls, so they fail the first
check on 5+ etc) should get a 20% Mass rebate. The cost per Mass
shouldn't change.

(I can give you the statistics supporting this as well, but it'll take
me
several evenings to type it in :-(  )

I'm not at all sure how to handle engines, though - I don't mind
hardening them, but I very much want to figure out how to cost/Mass
softened engines properly for all those ether sail ships of mine :-/

Hull structure and armour cannot be "softened" or "hardened", of course
:-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems: Bah, Humbug. Directional armor: Cool Next: Re: Directional armor & shields