Prev: RE: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: [FT] Sensors

Re: [FTFB] More on Fighter Bays and Hangers . . .

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:36:51 -0800
Subject: Re: [FTFB] More on Fighter Bays and Hangers . . .

-MWS- wrote:
...Snip...JTL
> Proposal:
> *  Fighter hangers and launch bays are included in the standard costs
on a 3:1
>    basis (1->3 hangers = 1 free launch bay, 4->6 hangers = 2 free
launch bays,
>    etc.).
XXX
     Unpleasent by true, light carriers will not fit this concept and
will have to be redesigned.   Not really a good thought.
However, a two to one ratio might fly.	 JTL
XXX
> *  Fighter hangers must dedicated to specific launch bays.
XXX
     Not a valid concept.   I would not like to limit my options this
much if
I was designing a carrier.   I would have 'crossover tubes' to allow the
launch
of fighters if the bay door 'got stuck' due to a blown fuse.   JTL
XXX
> *  Extra launch bays can be bought for 5 mass & 15 pts each.
XXX
     This will never be used as fighters may start the scenario 'in
flight'.
(But with 'house rules or scenario conditions' you can do anything you
like.  JTL
XXX
> *  Each launch bay can launch 1 fighter group per turn, and can handle
>    maximum of 3 fighter hangers.
> *  A fighter hanger cannot be serviced by more than one launch bay
(same
>    restriction as SML launchers & magazines - in reverse <g>).
XXX
     Not quite, see below.  JTL
XXX
> *  A ship can recover 1 fighter group per turn for every 2 launch bays
(or
>    fraction thereof), this restriction is more a function of 'traffic
control'
>    and logistics (it always takes more time to recover fighters than
it does
>    to launch them).
XXX
     This concept provides the interconnection between the
hangers/launch bays
that I mentioned before, or is the rearm sequence (by turn):
1) land on landing bay.
2) move to launch bay. (preventing any launch in the bay)
3) move to hanger.
4) rearm.
5) move to launch bay. (if clear)
6) launch.
:-) JTL
XXX
...Snip...JTL
> Comments?

> Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff

     The question becomes: will an additional landing bay be required
for
each additional launch bay and what is the cost of the beast.

(I personally do not have trouble with the fighters that return, there
are
so few.)

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: RE: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: [FT] Sensors