Prev: RE: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #91

Re: [DSII] Point defence...

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:48:40 +0100
Subject: Re: [DSII] Point defence...

Andrew Martin wrote:

> >Uh-huh.  Sure.  If the tank is stationary with the THEL pointed in
the
> >right direction, and one single round with no counter-measures or
> >stealthing (both of which will become as common as dirt if this thing
> >starts impacting the battlefield in a real way) under firing-range
> >conditions.

>     Actually the intended target isn't tanks.

I think John meant that the tank carrying the THEL is stationary, not
that its target would be...

>  It's missiles, smart rounds,
> cruise missiles and such like, which typically don't have counter
> measures  and have only limited stealth and certainly don't have
visual
> stealth.

Not today, no. ("No boom *today*. Boom *tomorrow*. There's *always* boom
tomorrow.")

If it becomes obvious that smart rounds, missiles etc are going to need
stealth and/or counter measures in order to do their job against
protection, you can bet any amount you like that they're going to get it
pretty damn fast. I don't expect the counter-measures and stealth to
work
all the time, but they'd certainly reduce the efficiency of the THEL..

 Which in DSII terms means that we'll get a "opposed die-roll" situation
for all incoming artillery rounds and similar against point/area
defence,
just as we already have for GSM :-)

BTW, the IDF hopes to deploy their "area defence" systems late this
year.
I mis-read the JDW article by half a year :-) So if they manage their
schedule, we'll know in a year or two how successful they are against
Katyusha-style rocket artillery...

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #91