Prev: Re: [FTFB] More on Fighter Bays and Hangers . . . Next: [FT] Hardened Systems

Re: [FTFB] More on Fighter Bays and Hangers . . .

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:06:32 -0800
Subject: Re: [FTFB] More on Fighter Bays and Hangers . . .

Mike.Elliott@bull.co.uk wrote:

> While I have always liked the idea of separate Hangers and launch
bays,
> there was a wide ranging discussion here on the list (last year I
think)
> about this whole subject. IIRC the eventual conclusion was that given
an
> agreed turn length of about 20 minutes, any ship should be able to
launch
> all its fighters in one turn. If this is the case, there is no longer
any
> need to differentiate between hangers and launch bays. Pity, but there
you
> go.....
>
> Mike Elliott

Greetings,
     Perhaps putting the launch and landing bays/tubes/whatever on the
SSD is the answer.
     The concept of the second bay being heavier than the first is
really rather silly.   Much of the 'mass' is in the structure (hull)
and is presumed to be paid for during design and construction.
Since this is not a 'Weapon' the mass increase is not necessary or
advisable.   All fighters may start the game 'in the air' and only
recovered and rearmed fighters are affected by the proposed launch
bay/tube concept.   This will be a lot of design work and headache
for something that will only seldom be used/seen during a game.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: [FTFB] More on Fighter Bays and Hangers . . . Next: [FT] Hardened Systems