Prev: Re: [FT] Sensors (Option 2) Next: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics

Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:01:10 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics

Charles Choukalos

[On using cinematic movement]

>  Typically you need
> class-3 beams to really effectively hit your opponent most of the
time.

Hm. Then I'd say you either fly too fast (and I *like* fast - 40 or
higher with those Thrust-8 ships) or don't have high enough thrust. Oh,
sure - if you want to fire at the enemy every turn, you need Class-3s or
bigger... but by going that fast, you can pretty much guarantee that if
*you* can't hit *his* ships, *he* can't hit *you* either (except by
using
Class-4+ guns, in which case you've probably got him seriously outgunned
at close range anyway).

And if neither side can hit each other, that turn has no impact at all
from an effectiveness point of view... Class-3s have the range, but not
the punch. Class-2s have considerably higher punch within its range, and
in a Class-2 vs Class-3 battle it is quite possible to either stay
within
the Class-2 range or outside the Class-3 range... provided that the
Class-2 fleet has very high thrust ratings - at least 6 for most ships,
and it needs to be higher than that of the Class-3 ships <g>

Staying within Class-1 range (or outside Class-2/3) in cinematic
movement, now... that's another matter entirely! :-)

> Addressing John C, regarding Agesis ships... my opponent ( mark ) has
> really gotten into this.  His tactics, are tyipcally 4 pds/large ship.

> 2+ on his smaller ships.  However he usually has 2 class-1's or
so/ship

> that act as additional pds.  Many of his cruiser+ ships have adfc to
help
> others that are under attack.  He does have one stand out ship agesis
> ship....  I'm not sure what the specs are... but its:
>
> light cruiser ( fairly cheap )
> thrust - 6
> screen-1 or about 3 pts of armor.... ( he keeps going back and forth
on

> this )
> adfc, 12 pds,

I hope you're aware that 1 ADFC allows this ship to cover one single
other ship. If the nasty enemy (ie, you ;-) spreads his attacks over
several targets, the AEGIS cruiser can only protect one.

> I think its about hull 44 or 48 and its around 160 pts or so.
> Its really effective in the center of a fleet.  And let me tell you 12

> pds at range 3" can scrap a destroyer...

Yes, PDS are nice little weapons. Especially since they don't need FCs -
whoever it was who gives his cruisers 4 FCs since they die in the first
treshold check, this might be a solution ;-)

Best wishes,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Sensors (Option 2) Next: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics