Prev: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters? Next: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters?

Re: [DSII] Point defence...

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:32:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DSII] Point defence...

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Found this today:
>
> www.trw.com/seg/sats/THEL.html

This is the right URL...

> Comments, folks?

Holy s**t! Suddenly Dirtside looks alot like the 2020s instead of the
2180s...ADS vehicles are here. (maybe...)

TRW claims this system is ready to ship as soon as you pay for
it...anyone
actually heard more of the system in actual use?

> Suddenly those intelligent arty and mortar rounds don't look so
> all-powerful any more :-) (Or :-(, since we were involved in the STRIX
> development...)

Artillery could be brought back to firing massive volleys of shells,
with
the fancy seeker shell mixed in with 'dumb' shells, in the hopes that
some
of the smart shells get through when the system is smoking dumb
shells...

Target ID & tracking are the problem, I think - hard to smoke a shell or
missle if you can't acquire the target.

$3K US per shot is pretty damn cheap - what's a Patriot round cost? Lots
lots more than that, I'm sure.

The future seems to be now...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html
--DS2/SG2/misc--

Prev: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters? Next: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters?