Prev: Re: FTL Mines Next: Re: [FT] Split Arcs

re: Campaign tech levels.....

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 12:03:27 -1000
Subject: re: Campaign tech levels.....

<Big snip>

>Anyone try the "sniper gun" idea.  I did use the class-6 beam
>heavy cruiser gun cannon to great amusment in one battle,
>but I ended up loosing the majority of my forces.

One major difficulty with the 'sniper rifle' idea is the fact that the
ranges where you get the most advantage you can do what? maybe 6 pts
damage? an that's on unscreened targets.  More likely you will be doing
2-3
point plinks.  Once they close to the point that your Beams are truly
devastating, their cheaper beams outnumber & outgun you because they are
more efficient.  Nice idea, though.

>"Snipper Rifle"  ( you need the class-5's range ..... )
>hull: 44 (fragil 4 dp)
>ftl
>thrust-8
>weapons (18)
>1*firecon
>1*class-5 beam (f)
>1*pds
>
>tmf:44 cost: 151
>
>Tactical idea:  Shoot outside of range 36", keep your front facing as
>much as possible.

Better idea - since you don't want them to close too quickly - make it
side
mounted so you can circle around them or move back and forth and still
fire.  They have to provide the thrust to close, giving you that many
extra
shots.

>    (Bad thing already):
>	  1.  Don't let anyone get within gun range of you...

	       See above

>	  2.  Fighters with combat endurance are not good....
>	       (run... you can't afford to get hit/but you loose
>			 a lot of the value of your snipping.... )

	       Single purpose fleets always have a hard time of it.

Prev: Re: FTL Mines Next: Re: [FT] Split Arcs