Prev: Re: [FT] Split Arcs Next: Re: [FTFB] NPV cost error in NSL BDN?

Re: [FT] Split Arcs

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:49:38 -1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Split Arcs

>Greetings Jer,
>
>>I've played FT a long time, but this is the first time that I've
encountered
>>this problem.
>>
>>What happens when a ship falls EXACTLY on the boundary between two
arcs?
>>Which arc is the ship in?  Pick one?	Both?
>>
>>I'm inclined to say 'Both', but I just wanted to make sure there
wasn't
>>a ruling that I wasn't aware of.
>
>Heh. This has come up with me before. I've found the SFB solution to
work
>pretty well. Basically move each ship 'forward' (in whatever direction
it
>happens to be travelling if you are using vector movement) an inch or
>something and recheck the arcs. That's the arc which you get to fire
in.

Almost what I was trying to say, but stated much better.  The one change
would make is to move the ships back, not forward.  Why?  Because while
the
firing takes place at the end of the move in game terms, it makes more
sense to me to measure arcs based on the flight paths taken during the
turn
(when, theoretically at least, the ships _could_ have fired), rather
than
projecting into the future.  Proportional distances just because...

>The only time this falls through is if both ships are travelling in
>EXACTLY the same direction, at EXACTLY the same speed, such that no
>matter how far you were to 'move' them their relative positions stay
>exactly the same. THAT hasn't happened to me so far, I'm happy to say.
:-)

>Mk

Yep, not too likely, but if it happens, I'd say let the firer pick arcs,
or
use both arcs - just be consistent.  ( I think I lean to picking the
arcs,
but not sure.)

Jared

Prev: Re: [FT] Split Arcs Next: Re: [FTFB] NPV cost error in NSL BDN?