Prev: RE: [OT] Stupid Military Terminology Question Next: United States attitudes towards guns and governments

Re: FT/MT vs FB

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:56:20 -0600
Subject: Re: FT/MT vs FB

nemesice@interlog.com wrote:

> I won a set of FT rules at a gameday a month ago. Picked up a healthy
batch
> of miniatures at reasonable prices too. Mostly NSL with some FSE. Now,
that
> I've read the rules I realize there's no stats. Many of the weapons
that
> I've seen discussed while I lurk don't appear in here either. I
figured
> they were in MT cause I've seen it around.

	Well, it depends.  Many of the weapons and systems discussed in
MT are
many genre-based (cloaking device for ST players, Wave Gun for anime
games, etc.).  The only rules that really fit the official FT universe
are the rules for Kra'Vak and the Sa'Vasku.

> But.... I was looking at the FB page on GeoHex's site and it gives the
> impression of being a rules compilation/update with (for lack of a
better
> term) SSD's.

	More or less yes.  The FB contains updated rules for movement
(the
optional vector movement system), the new construction rules (no more
cheese ships), and new and updated weapons (Salvo-Based Missiles and
updated original weapons.)

> Could someone in the know please elaborate for me? Is it worth it to
go get
> MT if I should really just be getting the FB's?

	It depends on how far you want to go.  If you just want to play
FT
Version 2.0 then get MT.  It will give you greater flexibility for
play.  If you want to be up-to-date, then get MT and the FB.  The FB
updates most of the rules found in FT/MT.  Although the construction
system in the FB contains the new mass/points for "human" systems found
in MT, they don't reiterate the rules.

[SNIP]

> With regards to the fleets... Do people tend to pick a fleet and play
it
> per doctrine or do they use the mini's and design their own stats? I
like
> some mini's from this fleet and some from that one. The fleet (as a
whole)
> that I like the looks of the best
> is FSE but it's weapons loadout doesn't favor what I perceive to be my
> style of play.
> Where would I find descriptions of the loadouts favoured by each of
the
> 'Powers' and their usual tactics?

	Well, there is nothing stopping you from designing your own
ships.	The
ships in the FB are meant for people who like the official FT universe.
FT is meant to be a completely "generic" system.  You can do with it as
you like.  Most of the games I play don't take background into account
at all.  The players just design their ships and duke it out.
	I myself am hammering out my own background for FT with it's own
ships,
empires, enclaves and alien races.  I know that no one will probably
ever touch it, but the fun is in the design.
	As for tactics, the FB gives little tactical advice.  It does
explain
the design philosophy of each of the powers.  Since technology does help
in determining tactics (Note:  I said "help" and not dictate, I don't
want to be cast in same light as David Weber's Horrible Hemphill) you
can get a feel how each fleet should operate effectively.

--
Happy New Year,
Mark A. Siefert

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: RE: [OT] Stupid Military Terminology Question Next: United States attitudes towards guns and governments