Prev: Re: [OT] MRE Next: Re: [DS2] Air superiority revisited

Re: Ubermensch in DSII?

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:32:39 PST
Subject: Re: Ubermensch in DSII?

>If I understand the 'inspiration' behind these Imperials, they are also
>better equipped for close combat as well--SMG-style weapons, etc.

Yeah, I give 'em range penalties too.  Big nasty guns that are very
inaccurate at any significant range.  They prefer close fighting; that
way, you get to see the look of terror on the other guy's face.  On the
other hand, if they DO succeed in hitting someone, the target usually
ends up looking like salsa.

The chunky variety.

>>  However,
>> > because of their great size, Imperials are considered to be one
range
>> > band closer than they actually are when under fire.
>>
>> Oh, now that is harsh.
>
>I presume this also reflects that they tend to move in straight lines
>standing up with little regard for cover?

They honestly don't care if they die.  They don't want to die
needlessly, but the average Imperial citizen spends most of his life
looking forward to, and planning, his own death.  For civilians, it is
usually a spectacular and artistic suicide.  For soldiers, it is an
equally spectacular death in combat.

I make no bones about the fact that my Imperium is based strongly upon
the orignial concept by (and of) the Evil Empire.  All I'm doing is
reconsidering the *why* of Space Marine psychology.  Are they brave and
noble savages, the last best hope of humanity?	Or are they simply
fanatical Death-Fetishists, fighting an ongoing and pointless struggle
for the decadent, crumbling remains of a once powerful Empire?

You be the judge....

>BTW, there's a lad who wishes to learn Stargrunt, and the only figs
he's
>got are GW Eldar things.  Any idea how to convert them into Stargrunt
>terms?

I do have a few ideas about the Eldar (Or "Old Ones" in my little
universe), none of which have ever been used.  I like the figures, and
have a lot of them, but have only painted one tank and a few sample
pieces.  The old Harlequin figures remain among my favorites, though.  I

don't know how workable these ideas would be, but they should be
playable, not too weird (and thus would not obscure the basic SGII
mechanics), and have some of the Eldar flavor (as I see it).  Try 'em,
or not.

Movement: 8"/4d4x2"  The use of 4d4 for the combat move gives them a
higher average movement, which beter represents their legendary speed
and grace.  The winged guys (Shining Hawks, I believe) should have
20"/d20x2", along with the ability to ignore most terrain.  Teleporters?

Spider guys, I think.  Give them a 1d12 move, but they don't actually
cross the area between point A and point B.

Armor: Full Light Armor (d8)  If he was Wraithguard, just make them into

heavy power armor.

Weapons: Lasrifle (Firepower 3, Penetration d6).  To depict the accuracy

of a laser weapon, you could have it treat all targets as though they
were one rangeband closer.  If you are playing with a complete newbie,
and want to give him a break, make it work like the HELs in DSII:
EVERYthing is close range.
      Shuriken Catapault (Firepower 3, Penetration d8).

I'm not too familiar with the current GW or background for the Eldar,
but I believe that they break heavy weapons into their own seperate
squads, and do the same with the CC guys.  I'd give the heavy weapons
guys the closest SGII equivalent (with SUperior Firecons and guidence,
when appropriate), and give the CC guys a +1 or +2 die shift in melee.
Again, it depends on how generous you want to be.

With a new guy, especially one used to 40K, I'd give him all the help he

can take; 40Kr tactics will not work all that well in SGII, and the
cognitive leap can be a difficult one to make.	The last thing that you
want to do is make his first game of SGII into a slaughter.  That's a
good way to lose a potential player.  I've seen it happen.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: [OT] MRE Next: Re: [DS2] Air superiority revisited