Prev: [OFFICIAL] Happy Xmas from GZG! Next: Re: Ubermensch in DSII?

Re: Ubermensch in DSII?

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 07:15:43 PST
Subject: Re: Ubermensch in DSII?

>One of the staples of the Science Fiction we all know and love is the
>superior version of the human.  Whether through harsh environment or
>genetic engineering, these beasties can fight better, think faster,
>and/or shoot straighter than anyone else in their universe.  Some of my
>favorite include SM Stirling's Draka, Jerry Pournelle's Saurons, and
>JP's Frystaaters.  So here's my ideas on how to represent these folks
at
>the Dirtside II level.

I've done some stuff with supermen--of a sort--in SGII, although I have
always found the level of abstraction in DSII to be too high for me to
bother making the attempt in 6mm.  Just wait 'til I adapt ShockForce to
DSII, though!  Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

But I digress.	In my background, we have two basic types of human:
Terran Humans (Homo Sapiens Sapiens), and Imperial Humans (Homo Sapiens
Robustus).  These are represented by "true" 25mm (GZG, Partha, Denizen)
figures for the former, and 28mm (just about everyone else) for the
latter.  The products of a much older (and psychologically unhealthy)
society, Imperial humans are larger, faster, and stronger than the
Terran variety.  This has a number of effects.

Physical: Imperials have a basic movement of 8"/d8x2".	When encumbered,

this drops to 6"/d6x2".  All Imperials get a +2 Die Shift in close
combat, reflecting their greater strength, reach, and speed.  However,
because of their great size, Imperials are considered to be one range
band closer than they actually are when under fire.  (In other words,
Regulars firing at an Imperial unit would have a d10 at close range, a
d8 for the next range band, etc.)

Mental: Imperials are themselves immune to *Terror*, but cause it when
charging normal humans.  Imperials may automatically discard the first
"Under Fire" marker placed upon them without charge during their
activation (To translate that into English, an Imperial unit with two
"Under Fire" markers on it may discard the first one without having to
roll, but must roll as normal for the second marker.).	Imperials always

have "High" mission motivation.  Imperials have no regard for their
wounded comrades, and are not obligated to attend to them in any way
(although a bullet in the head, to "put him out of *our* misery", is not

uncommon).  Lastly, Imperials will not rout; if they are ever broken,
they will charge the nearest enemy unit.

On the downside, their birthrate has been declining for several
centuries now, and suicide is the most common cause of death in the
Imperium, but that doesn't have all that much effect upon the gaming
table.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: [OFFICIAL] Happy Xmas from GZG! Next: Re: Ubermensch in DSII?