Prev: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: Re: Time to speak of many... Re: Gas Skimmers, Wings and Things

Re: [SG2] Electronic Dog Tags (was APFCs in Stargrunt)

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:53:22 +1300
Subject: Re: [SG2] Electronic Dog Tags (was APFCs in Stargrunt)

Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@clark.net> wrote:
>"John M. Atkinson" wrote:
>> ... One would implanted in the back of the
>> skull, another (emergency backup) elsewhere.  Shortrange IFF,
required
>> to use most military equipment--if you pick up a radio, and you
havn't
>> got one, it blanks out the frequencies automatically and zeros out
the
>> crypto gear.
>
> You'd have to be careful and make the chip "stealthy".
> It wouldn't do to have the enemy equipped with *long* range
> IFF, doing what the friendly IFF does.
>
> Say, guarding a critical site.  Your soldiers try to infiltrate
> in the dead of night.  Alas, the enemy's IFF technology
> ( cloned from your technology ) is busy in the heart of the
> site, broadcasting "identify yourself" queries.
>
> The hapless infiltration's chips send back their name,
> rank, and security clearance.  The enemy's autoguns swivel
> and blaze away with a volley of homing bullets, which
> impact neatly at the base of each of your soldier's skulls.

    Just use RSA security (huge prime numbers and trapdoor functions).
The
electronic dog tag checks the transmitted code _first_ before responding
in
any way. Once the codes check out and the interrogation message is
decrypted, then the dogtag sends an encrypted message back in response.

-------

Adrian Johnson wrote:
>What happens when the other guy figures out the frequency / code to
your
>implants and mimics the IFF interrogation signal - revealing all your
>troops OR creating boobytraps / mines that use your IFF to trigger, etc
etc
>etc.
    Use RSA security codes and combine the message with the time and
date.
The implanted IFF device only responds to correctly coded messages.

>Would yours "turn off" if the "carrier" dies?	If they did, you
wouldn't be
>able to use them as easily for identification of casualties.  If they
>didn't, my commandos would be hacking off the heads of your divisional
>commander and staff to use as access keys to the mainframe...
    The implant could easily monitor the electrical activity of the
brain or
even a simple thing like blood pressure and send this encrypted along
with
data in the IFF implant. If the implant sends back a signal indicating
blood
pressure near zero and no brain electrical activity, it would be safe to
assume the body the implant is in is dead and shouldn't be given access!

Andrew Martin
-------------
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
 http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: Re: Time to speak of many... Re: Gas Skimmers, Wings and Things