Prev: Geo-Hex Service Next: AI ships, was Re: FT Fast FTL drives.

GSM/P, was Re: Stand size for infantry

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:41:03 +0100
Subject: GSM/P, was Re: Stand size for infantry

John M. Atkinson wrote:

> > BTW, the "long-ranged buzzbombs" and "GSM/P" are likely to be one
> > and the same in a few years time, at least if the British MoD gets
what > > they want in the current LAW "contest" :-/

> Some people are apparently under impression GMS/P is equivelant to
> Dragon, with GMS/L equivelant to TOW.

Not me. While I haven't handled neither Dragon nor TOW, I have seen the
specs for the MoD's LAW contest. If they get what they've specified, the
LAW will be basically what DSII calls a "GSM/P" - the only differences
are that the LAW is one-shot (somewhat heavier and more expensive than
today's buzzbombs like the Bofors AT4), and it is supposed to reliably
penetrate an MBT on a hit from any aspect. A GSM/P with its base impact
of 1D12 isn't that likely to do against level-3 or better armour.

I'm not sure if any of the competitors will manage to meet the MoD's
specs now - ie, within the next two years. I am sure that at least one
of
them will get pretty damn close, and given a century or two to reduce
weight and cost of the thing further still I'm fairly certain that it
will replace the unguided IAVR entirely - except possibly for *very*
low-tech and poor armies (eg, Hell's Angles :-/ ).

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Geo-Hex Service Next: AI ships, was Re: FT Fast FTL drives.