Prev: RE: GZGL FT Fast FTL drives. Next: [Misc] Yet another page.

[FT][SG][DS][Background] Pop Sizes

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:10:27 -0500
Subject: [FT][SG][DS][Background] Pop Sizes

I proposed some NAC pop sizes and no one really commented. I'm
putting together a spreadsheet to let me come up with reasonable pop
figures for a number of countries in 2183. It will allow year by year
modification, and selection of growth rate. This should let me factor
in wars and other population diebacks.

But I was wondering if anyone of the life science types out there has
the forumula for the abiotic carrying capacity of an environment...
I'm interested to see if I can figure out where population growth
slows or plateaus so my model should curb near some estimated
carrying capacity rather than continue unabated exponential growth.

If anyone does, could they mail it to me off list. When I've come up
with some numbers, if anybody is curious (probably will complete it
over the hoidays but have some early results soon), I'll post my
estimates to a web page and put the URL up here. If not, it'll just
amuse me.

There seems to have been a lot of argument about what makes the major
powers.... and I can't help but think population base (tax base and
potential markets) have something to do with it, so a reasonable idea
of what population each state would have should give us an idea of
what they can afford (given the addition of a simple efficiency
factor to represent high tech, high affluence economies vs. low tech,
low prosperity ones). I don't care if you are technologically
superior - if I have 100 times your population, I should be able to
start to close that gap if I focus on that task.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: GZGL FT Fast FTL drives. Next: [Misc] Yet another page.