Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [DS] camo schemes for vehicles

Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 23:18:58 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested

> 1. First, I need some help with DFFG's in a vacuum. At first, I was of
> the opinion that they would have a longer range, since it would not
> diffuse into the (nonexistent) atmosphere. In this, I pictured that it
> was held in magnetic containment for the full distance to the target.
> After a closer reading, the plasma is not contained once it leaves the
> barrel of the gun. Having never taken a physics class, my question is:
> Would the plasma remain as a cohesive ball of gas, maintain the same
> dispersal pattern or be even more quickly dispersed?

I'd think it would tend to disperse more rapidly, no air pressure to
help
contain it, but I have an English and history degree, so what would I
know?

> 2. Second, the Moon is about 1/6th the mass of the Earth. However, it
is
> less dense (and contains fewer heavy metals). But I have been unable
> find what the circumference of the moon. I am trying to figure out the
> distance to the horizon on the Moon. If anyone can provide information
> or insight on this matter, it will be appreciated.

Mass and density have nothing to do with horizon; and Luna shouldn't
have
1/6 MASS, but rather 1/6 GRAVITY.  I don't happen to recall the formula
for
a horizon, but you can find it in the book by Steven Gillette on
worldbuilding, from the series edited by Ben Bova.

Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [DS] camo schemes for vehicles