Prev: [OT] Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [FT] IF Ship Design

Re: [FT] IF Ship Design

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 21:33:02 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] IF Ship Design

Laserlight <laserlight@cwix.com> wrote:

>I decided to forgo FTL for several reasons:
>1) I envision FTL components as being expensive and not easily
maintained;
>the IF, who may be a little short in technicians compared to, say, the
NAC,
>will want to keep FTL components away from the battle line.

OK, I'll buy that. How about non-FTL ships which use civillian tugs to
get
them where they need to set up - and then they stay there; system
defense.

>2) I figure the individual planets are ruled by semi-autonomous emirs,
who
>will want to get the most bang for the buck.  Many of these vessels
will be
>in a system defense posture most of the time.

Yup.

>3) I want the IF to have the operational vulnerability of a tender that
>must be protected.  It may be 2 AU away, but if they don't fight,
they'll
>have to walk home.

As above, I like a tender that's just as ramshackle as the rest of the
fleet.

>4) It was an easy way to give a cheap ship better thrust and a good
weapons
>fit.

Watch that they don't unbalance in an action vs. an FTL fleet.

Schoon

Prev: [OT] Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [FT] IF Ship Design