Prev: RE: [DS] camo schemes for vehicles Next: Re: [DS] camo schemes for vehicles

Re: Blade Miniatures Question

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:37:13 +0000
Subject: Re: Blade Miniatures Question

>On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 PERRYG1@aol.com wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 98-12-09 08:20:18 EST, you write:
>>
>> <<
>>  Hi,
>>	If anyone (especially those of you in the U.K.) happens to know,
or
>>could
>>  find out who owned Blade Miniatures it would be greatly appreciated.
 The
>>  company is out of business, but they did make an excellent line of
sci-fi
>>  figures which would be great for use in SGII.   The last known
>>  address/contact information for Blade was:

Blade and their ranges seem to have disappeared completely; I think the
range was up for sale a couple of years ago when Blade went down, but I
haven't heard anything of them since then.
>>   >><<snip>>
>
>What scale are/were the Blade figs in? I'm always looking for new
sources
>of 15mm SG2 figs...especially in-production lines.

They are (were?) in 20mm scale. The idea was to get a crossover between
near-future SF and the 20mm ultramoderns players, but it never really
worked out.

>> I was always under the impression that Blade was somehow connected to
SHQ.

The connection was that Mike Percy, main sculptor for SHQ, also did the
minis for Blade - I think it was just a contract job, though, rather
than
any tie-up between the companies.

>> I know your looking for a U.K. source, but I got all of mine (a few
packs of
>> just about everyting they did) through Brookhurst Hobbies in the
U.S., who I
>> think still lists them among the lines they carry. In conjunction
with the
>> Blade Miniatures line,
>> I also found that Alternate Armies did "big" 15mm PA and milita type
troops
>> (est. actual size about 17mm-18mm) which I also picked up, but are
very hard
>> to find in the States over the last couple of years.
>>

>Is Alternate Armies a UK firm? I haven't heard of them until now.
What're
>their figs like?

That's AlternatIVE armies - the firm that did Flintloque. They've now
been
bought out by CCI (Crescent City Industries) who seem to have cut a lot
out
of their ranges - don't know if the 15mm packs are still in production
or
not. I think their US/Canadian agents are an offshoot of Ursa Major in
Canada, who publish MARS magazine.

Jon (GZG)