Prev: [SG][FT][DS] The UN in the GZG universe... (long) Next: [FT][SG][DS] Structure of the NAC

Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:45:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

At 11:38 AM 12/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>John spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>

>> [Much Snippage]

>> >a New Israel trying to rebuild Old Israel.
>>
>> Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!  "Not For Glory", "Emile and the
>> Dutchman", and "Hero" are all concerned with the (forgive me for
>> mangling the name, it's been a while...) Metzadan mercenary force,
and
>> make damned good reading.  I recommend them all highly, although they

>> are not easy to find these days.
>
>Emile and the Dutchman? I have the other two. Can you get me an ISBN
>number? Mail me off list if you have it. And one for NFG too... as
>some one of my scurilous friends has acquired it from me....

E&tD is kind of tangential to the Metzadans, actually, but it is
relevant.
Both Emile and the Dutchman (Major Alonzo Norfeldt) are members of the
Thousand World Contact Service--the people who go out and
explore/evaluate
new worlds.  Emile is an FNG, the Dutchman is an utter bastard, and
their
weapons officer (for at least part of the book) is a Metzadan named
Akiva
Bar-El.  I cannot remember whether he is related to NFG's Shimon Bar-El,
but it is not unlikely.  Damned good book, but then I've never met a
Rosenberg book that I did not like.  He is the only writer that I can
think
of who could turn the old "Players Become their D&D Characters" plot
into
something new.	The introduction of Gunpowder into a fantasy world
really
changes the dynamics of things....  Anyway, the ISBN of E&tD is
0-451-45124-4.	For Not For Glory, the ISBN is 0-451-15845-8  There is
another book, apparently set in the same universe, called "Ties of Blood
and Silver", but this has nothing to do with the Metzadans.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: [SG][FT][DS] The UN in the GZG universe... (long) Next: [FT][SG][DS] Structure of the NAC