Prev: RE: Cardboard Armour (Don't tell Jon) Next: New GZG-DigestQuestion

Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 15:24:07 PST
Subject: Re: [FT] New Israel - Re: National Differences (Long)

[Much Snippage]

>> NI does not have a significant sponsored merc force. It does
hire/loan
>> out some of its resources at times - primarily in the intelligence
>> gathering arm. Mossad spyships are quite popular  (e.g the  Ayin or
>> "Eye" Series).
>
>I can see good reasons for a *mercenary* force. Ever read Not For
>Glory by Joel Rosenberg? This has a lot to say about a similar
>situation. There, the planet is not rich and manpower is the only
>resource. Hence mercenaries are a source of revenue that helps keep
>the planet alive. As I assume it is lucrative, this may also apply to
>a New Israel trying to rebuild Old Israel.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!  "Not For Glory", "Emile and the
Dutchman", and "Hero" are all concerned with the (forgive me for
mangling the name, it's been a while...) Metzadan mercenary force, and
make damned good reading.  I recommend them all highly, although they
are not easy to find these days.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: RE: Cardboard Armour (Don't tell Jon) Next: New GZG-DigestQuestion