Prev: Re: [FT] Sa'Vasku Screens Next: Re: [FT] The Sa'Vasku

Re: [FT] The Sa'Vasku

From: "jim clem" <travmind@h...>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 05:27:51 PST
Subject: Re: [FT] The Sa'Vasku

Ok, I'll weigh in on this one.	I'm an engineer (boring technical
discussion warning.  RUN FOR THE ESCAPE PODS!!!!!!!!!)

<TECHNOBABBLE>

Water freezes when dumped into a vacuum because of the sudden loss of
pressure (ie, pressure goes down, temperature does as well).  Water can
be used to dump heat from a spacecraft because is carries some of the
heat away with it, you just can't carry enough to make this method
useful.  Temperature control _IS_ a big problem though.  Passing heat by

way of molecules is either convection for moving molecules or conduction

for stationary molecules.  In space its done by radiation. One of the
concepts for cooling the Space Station was to pass oil through the
system, then spray it across a gap open to the vacuum of space, where
the droplets dump heat by radiation, then recover it on the other side
of the gap and re-circulate.  OK, thats enough, are you all asleep now?

;^0

</TECHNOBABBLE>

JimC