Prev: Re: [GZG-Misc] GZG Miniature Gaming Club? Next: Re: [FT] The Sa'Vasku

[FT]&[SGII] Campaign interests?

From: "Scott Spieker" <scspieker@n...>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 23:38:02 -0500
Subject: [FT]&[SGII] Campaign interests?

Hi,
	Now that I have absorbed a great deal from the list, now I want
to ask a
question.  I am (hopefully) going to be a new mirror for the Unofficial
SGII web site and I want to throw an idea out to see what kind of bites
might get.

	OK, here's the idea:

	I am looking to find players of both FT and SGII for interest in
playing a
'campaign' of interrelated games.  Plain and simple.  The idea stemmed
from
reading some old Traveller's Aid Society news messages that had helped
flesh out the universe with some simple sentences.  The games would be
part
of an ongoing campaign with scenarios being played out by different
groups.
 The outcome of the battles would then effect the other games and future
scenarios.  The battle may go pretty well for the NSL troops on one
'front'
while the rest of the games have been total disasters, for example.
That
would then lead to a new scenario by the outstanding NSL troops being
surrounded and in a position of possible annihilation, where they must
break out of the pocket or be destroyed.
	The FT campaign would then be fought around the same 'campaign'
and would
also effect the ground troops games based on their outcome as well.

	Here is a sample that I worked up for our local game group:

	The NSL are on the offensive with the FSE in danger of collapse.
 The NSL
forces are using several revolutionary tactics and techniques that so
far
have not held up to the normal analysis.  These new techniques have lead
the NSL to triumph after triumph.  Their 'blitz' of the FSE systems has
been marked as outstanding.
	The NSL advanced assault fleet jumps into the target system
close to the
primary planet and launches their surprise assault before the local
system
defense craft have been able to react to the threat.

	Now, some NSL forces are on the ground and ready to fight any
obstacle,
but the bulk of the NSL forces are still a few days away from jumping in
system.  The reinforcements remain days out so that the main assault
force
can deal with local system defenses before the bulk troop ships are
exposed
to the heightened threat of SDB craft.	The only problem is that the FSE
had been expecting the attack.	The FSE have enlisted the aid of several
other nations to assist in diminishing the NSL's advances (thus allowing
players to play what ever type/kind of troops they happen to have...).
The
assault fleet had no time to send word that the target area was still a
'hot' zone.  The reinforcements arrive to find the assault fleet
fleeing/hiding in the local system with strong resistance facing them...

	The troops ships either need to offload their cargo, or turn
back.  The FT
rules apply to get players involved with the attack/defense roll of the
ground forces.	The troop ships need to either get through the picket of
defenders and land more troops, or a rescue mission would then be
required
to extract the advanced forces from the planet's surface....  Meanwhile
the
surface forces have their orders to capture or destroy vital
targets/installations to assist the space battles above.  They are
interrelated and effect each other's next set of scenarios.

	OK, so there is the basis or an example of where this can start.
 This
doesn't mean that they don't need to start out this way, but it was what
we
used locally.  So now the tough part is finding volunteers to play the
games and return the battle reports (pictures would be good as well...)

This is open to the list for speculation and conversation,

Scott Spieker

Prev: Re: [GZG-Misc] GZG Miniature Gaming Club? Next: Re: [FT] The Sa'Vasku