Prev: Re: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems Next: RE: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Star s)

Re: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 12:34:34 PST
Subject: Re: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems

[With a snip-snip here, and a snip-snip there....)

>I kind of like the idea of guided projectiles tossed by the railguns to
>increase accuracy at long ranges. How about this:
>(Using the RG Rules in your last post, which I like a lot)
>
>Guided Railgun Round (GRR)
>Range: As normal, except both 5's and 6's count for rerolls.

Well, I will be damned.  I never thought of increasing the re-roll
numbers in order to increase the range!  Simple, effective,
simple...excuse me for a moment, would you?  I need to go bang my head
against the wall.
*Wham*
*Wham*
There, that's better.

>Damage: (Class-2)*d6. Damage is applied to armour first, then
structure.
>	       [PSP, the sensors, manouver engines and associated fuel
takes up
>	       space that would otherwise be filled with Depleted
Balonium.]

>The minimum size RG that can fire thse large rounds would be the
Class-3's,
>obviously. I don't like the idea of buying these things spaces in the
design
>and I don't think it's warrented to pay for them with points. Can
anyone who's
>a little better with analyzing thse types of things see if the decrease

in
>damage offsets the increased range?

I don't have the math for it myself, being mathematically challenged,
but it seems to have at least a rough balance to it.

>John, in regards to your RG rules, how would you deal with KV armour?
Personally?  Apparently by forgetting about it.  This is what happens
when I try to express coherant thoughts after 6 hours of sleep.

The list
>seems to have agreed on modeling KV armour as in MT (a percentage of
mass
>gives 1,2, or possibly 3 levels of protection). What do you all think
about
>this:
>
>Kra'Vak Armour System (KVAS)
>Mass: 5% of the ships mass per level, maximum 2 levels. (Possibly 3.
Any
>	   suggestions?)
>Points:???? (Haven't the faintest, folks)
>Effect: vs. Human Weapons: As human shields of identical level.
>	    vs. KV Railguns: Subtract the level of the KVAS from the
number of
>to-hit
>				     dice rolled. (ie a railgun is
firing at a
>Level 1 protected
>				     ship. Instead of  4d6 rolled to
hit, 3d6
>is rolled)
>	   vs. Scatterguns: Subtract the level of the armour from the
damage
>rolled.
>
>I'm not wild about the difference in mechanics between the RG and the
SG, but
>there isn't a to hit roll to modify on the scatterguns. I kind of like
the
>effect on the to-hit roll for the RG's, because it encourages the close
>combat, knifefight nature of the Kra'Vak, at least in my opinion.
>

>Don

I'm really not sure.  The easy way to go is to make KV armor lighter and

more expensive than normal human armor, but that seems like the easy way

out.  The idea that most appeals to me is simply subtracting the level
of the armor from each die of damage, but that wouldn't work against
beam attacks.  Or, rather, it would work waaaay too well.

I would like a mechanic that functions the same, regardless of what
weapons are being used.  How about this...just as a thought.  I'm not
sure how well it would work in practice.

KV armor functions as you defined it about vs. KV railguns--each level
reduces the effective range by 1d6 (PSB: the longer range gives the
targeted ship more time to orient itself so that the shot glances off
the armored bits.  I know, I know...sounds shaky to me, too.)

Against Beam weapons, the effect is similar; each level of armor reduces

the beam range by 6".  This forces the humans to fight at KV ranges.
The PSB is a little more solid here, I think.

Maybe the combination would work, after all.  Railgun (and Scattergun)
damage is at -1 per die/level of armor against KV armor, and Beam shots
have their range reduces by 6"/level.

And, on a related note, I would have ALL scattergun damage applied to
human armor, assuming there is any less, before anything reaches the
hull.  It's a cloud of (relatively) light shot, and it seems somehow
right.

John Crimmins
johncrim@hotmail.com

Prev: Re: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems Next: RE: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Star s)