RE: [FT] K'V Armour Vs. Weapons

From: "jim clem" <travmind@h...>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 13:04:12 PST
Subject: RE: [FT] K'V Armour Vs. Weapons

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@noridian.com>
To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:45:31 -0600

Schoon wrote:
> By so aptly comparing RGs to PTs, we have our answer. Armour affects
them
> in the same way...
> Level 1 Armour - subtract 1 from damage
> Level 2 Armour - subtract 2 from damage
>
> "Wait !" I hear you say. "Doesn't this mean that Class 1 RGs are
> ineffective against armoured targets ?" Yup.

The subtracted damage is from total damage I assume and not per hit
rolled
since you  don't mention Class2 RGs not hitting.  So for a Class2 to do
damage to a ship with Level 2 armour, both rolls would have to be hits.

Beam 1s still do damage to human armour and given time will destroy any
other human ship.  Class1 RGs with the armour level rules you have above

can
never do any damage to an armoured ships no matter how much time they
have.
I don't think making an armoured ship totally impervious to Class1
railguns
is a good idea.

However, if a wet navy analogy is appropriate, the 5 inch guns on a DD
won't even scratch the hide of an Iowa class BB.  Perhaps armor is able
to absorb the damage from the smaller kinetic projectiles, while giving
way (vaporizing away? though maybe slowly) to energy weapons fire?

My 0.02 American

JimC