Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Changes

[FT] K'V Armour Vs. Weapons

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 04:56:35 -0800
Subject: [FT] K'V Armour Vs. Weapons

Alrighty then...

Here's my first guess at how the proposed K'V armour would affect the
various weapons systems in th FT universe.

Beams (and weapons that do damage like Beams - are there any?)
Level 1 Armour - as Level 1 Screens
Level 2 Armour - as Level 2 Screens

Pulse Torpedoes (and weapons that do damage like Pulse Torpedoes)
Level 1 Armour - subtract 1 from damage roll
Level 2 Armour - subtract 2 from damage roll

Railguns (and... never mind)

Dean accurately points out that we don't want to have the "to hit roll"
affected, nor do we want to adjust the damage multiplier, which is too
extreme of a reduction (9 points to 3 for a Class 3 RG). He also points
out
that the damage should be the only thing affected - and in that gives us
potential answer.

By so aptly comparing RGs to PTs, we have our answer. Armour affects
them
in the same way...
Level 1 Armour - subtract 1 from damage
Level 2 Armour - subtract 2 from damage

"Wait !" I hear you say. "Doesn't this mean that Class 1 RGs are
ineffective against armoured targets ?" Yup.

Looking at K'V designs, however, reveals that they don't use Class 1s on
any ship not expecting fighters or smalls ships as opponents. All
cruisers
or larger mount only Class 2+.

Beam 1s are just as ineffective against human armour unless they've had
it
stripped down by other weapons, or get lucky on their roll.

All we have to do is make a minimum system size, just like for screens,
that prevents small vessels from using it cost effectively.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Changes