Prev: Re: GZGL DSII - Hostile Environment Suited Infantry Next: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Railguns Number-Crunched

[FT] Kra'Vak Integral Armor

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:03:27 -0000
Subject: [FT] Kra'Vak Integral Armor

The current Integral Armor proposal is:

5% mass = Armor 1 (acts as screen-1)
10% mass = Armor 2 (acts as screen-2)
Cost = mass x ?

Fiddling with the design system last night I would
go for a cost of about MASS x 6 rating.

The normal shields costs are MASS x 3, but these logical
shields can never be damaged which is a huge advantage.

Filling in the design spreadsheet with a Cost of 3 the points for
the KV were too low, 6 gave a better NPV closer to the magic 1.5.

I filled in all the MT designs, I used average hulls throughout
as a baseline and generally the system worked though there were
some anomalies. I find it difficult to justify a weak hull with
Integral Armor anyway, so I plumped for average like the NAC
designs.

I decided on installing all the systems as in MT and varying the
mass to balance. Obviously you could also hold the mass and vary
the systems, But I wanted to preserve that aspect of the MT designs.

As a result some ships had to have a lot more MASS to hold their
systems,
more than double their MT counterparts. Others fitted well. Others
required
a less mass than expected.

The Thrust point threshold i.e. going from 8 to 6 caused
some ships to have lower mass than the class below them.

I've put the proto full MT design spreadsheet on the web site,
but using 'yesterdays' design system.

tim jones
--------

Prev: Re: GZGL DSII - Hostile Environment Suited Infantry Next: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Railguns Number-Crunched