Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [SG] Scenario with engineers

RE: [SG] Scenario with engineers

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 23:53:38 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG] Scenario with engineers

Glover, spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> Remember that a screen/delaying force MUST NOT become decisively
engaged by
> the enemy. Their objective should be to impose delay by causing the
advance
> to bog down in battle drills, preparation for assaults etc.

Interesting point. In SG2, on table leaders tend to operate almost in
a command vaccuum.... they tend to never call off board to provide
higher command with sitreps or ask for orders. So an SG2 advance
could be much quicker (plus you have the advantage of knowing how
many enemy are ahead and when they start to withdraw). This might
actually be hard to simulate without some missing restrictions on the
advancing force. (ie must call in any enemy sightings immediately,
maybe ambushers use hidden placement and player must recce enemy
hidden units via spot actions and then have on table command call it
in... and then maybe a delay to get instructions from higher level
command while they guess at whether the attack is actually part of a
larger force or a small screening unit).

> Two squads with two SAW each, no GMS or PPG but perhaps 1d4 IAVR per
squad
> and perhaps only 2 or 3 mortar fire missions, at least one of which
must be
> smoke would sound about the right balance. Quality definitely not
Green.

Maybe a sniper? This kind of 'slow-em-down' mission could be well
executed by two squads with a two man (or one man) sniper team
attached. (two man would have a spotter).  This kind of use of
snipers and small screening forces has halted more than one company
advance..... for far longer than the unit size might indicate...
because they retreat, break contact, ambush, repeat.... and that
means you take losses as the advancing force and have to slow down to
minize them.

Actually, the book Lieutenant by Rick Shelly (a new publication I
believe) follows a situation similar to this. It also highlights some
of the fine points of electronic warfare (particularly when they use
their helmet electronics such as radios and when they revert to hand
signals to avoid EW detection). Excellent series of books (the first
two anyway) for anyone playing SG2.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [SG] Scenario with engineers