Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types - atmosphere effects on VTOL's Next: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 11:59:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

>> Either way, with pioneers or engineers, there's no problem with a
>> squad
>> being attached to a platoon for route recon.  Only real difference
>> between
>> the two, as far as game terms go, is that it is reasonable for an
>> assault
>>

>Just a note. If all you want to do is route reconnasaince, that's a
>function that can be done by your recon types. In particular mech recon
>spends much time performingthis function, including measuring
gradients,
>soil content and all that other crap. No need to waste an engineer
squad
>on it.
>
>Los

For sure!  I think in the Canadian Army, armoured recce units have an
Assault Troop attached to each recce Squadron  -  ok, that's Assault
Platoon attached to each recce Company for you US types :-)   The
Assault
Troop's role is to provide integral dismounted infantry support to the
recce units as needed, but particularly they are trained to do things
like
mine clearing, etc. etc. - again so the capability is integral to the
recce
unit, so the recce team leader can call on this trained capability from
his
immediate superior, and not need to dig it up from higher up the chain
of
command, or, force his mounted recce crews to dismount to clear mines,
etc.

Adrian