Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 00:55:02 GMT
Subject: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:30:47 +0000, Ground Zero Games
<jon@gzero.dungeon.com>
wrote:

>REACTION FIRE	is ...

I take it that this would be the standard Reaction Fire rule from the
SG2
Advanced Rules section if we were to translate it to SG2 terms?

>OVERWATCH FIRE is similar to Reaction Fire, in that it allows an
immediate
>shot against a target that is currently being activated. However,
Overwatch
>Fire may ONLY be performed by a character who currently has a OVERWATCH
>marker, which must have been placed by the character as an action
during
>their last activation.

Wow, Jon, Great Minds Think Alike and all that... I just came up with a
house
rule I was planning to try this weekend, and it looks VERY much like
this.

I came up with a second form of Reaction Fire. I called it Advanced
Reaction
Fire. It allowed a unit to conduct Reaction Fire at any time an opponent
moved
provided that the unit make a Reaction Test at TL0. I also increased the
range
band by one. This could even occur in the middle of a unit's movement.

I then came up with Overwatch, which allowed a unit to place an
Overwatch
Counter at the cost of both activations. The Overwatch counter allowed
either
form of Reaction Fire, however the unit STILL had to make a Reaction
Test if
it wanted to conduct Advanced Reaction Fire. The advantage of the
Overwatch
Counter is that it didn't add any modifiers to the range die.

I guess another way of handling this is to allow the Overwatch counter
to NOT
require a Reaction Test for firing at a unit that crosses its path. This
makes
Overwatch much more powerful.

So, in summary, I'm going to try these house rules:

1) Reaction Fire is as per the advanced rules in SG2.

2) Snapshot Fire is a version of reaction fire. It may be used at any
time in
an enemy unit's activation, but the firing unit MUST perform a Reaction
Test
at TL0 in order to do it, the range is increased by one range band, and
it
counts as the unit's next activation.

3) Overwatch Fire allows a unit to conduct either Reaction Fire or
Snapshot
Fire. It costs one action to perform, but the unit could not have
performed a
Move or Fire action that turn. When using Overwatch Fire to do a
Snapshot, a
Reaction Test is NOT needed and the range band is NOT modified.

I'll let everyone know how this goes... Meanwhile, any comments?

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com

Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea