Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

[FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 13:19:54 -0600
Subject: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View

Lots of traffic on the K'V over this long weekend for me to catch up on.
like some of the new mechanics I saw but overall, nothing seemed to fit
my
view of the K'V.  One thing I don't think works is giving them more hull
boxes and then better armour to boot!  Couldn't their old style armor,
now
taking up some hull space, reflect their toughness?  They can take the
same
amount of damage, it is just tougher to cause that damage.  Also the
railgun
proposals are going too far away from the MT versions for my tastes.
Save
all the good ideas that were tossed around for additional races but
update
the K'V to FB standards is my opinion.	So how to do that?

Here is my version of the FB K'V, keeping it simple and similar the MT
version but updating it for the FB:

Hull integrity, same as humans. (I am not addressing their increased
turning
ability in this post, though they should get it)

Level 1 armour 5% hull, Level 2 armor 10% of hull (reflects enhanced
toughness of K'V ships and their increased resistance to damage) Treat
as
equal levels of screens vs. beam weapons.
Cost is mass x 5?

Railguns
Class 1 RG - mass 1 - 4" range bands, 20" max (2 arcs)
Class 2 RG - mass 2 - 6" range bands, 30" max (1 arc)
Class 3 RG - mass 4 - 8" range bands, 40" max (1 arc)
Cost is mass x 5
Hits at 2+ in closest range band, increased by 1 each band out
d6 for damage 1-3 is RG class (all to Human armour), 4-6 is RG class x2
(1/2
to armour, 1/2 to hull).  When fired declared as regular fire or
Shotgun.
K'V armor gives a -1 or -2 bonus to damage roll

Shotgun Fire Option - Roll to-hit as if 1 range band closer, damage is
equal
to RG class, no chance for double damage.  All damage to Human armor
first.
(Yup, will lead to automatic hits at closest range band but damage will
be
limited to class size).

I haven't run the numbers on the Shotgun Fire option yet and have not
done
any ship designs with this yet but hope to later tonight unless someone
beats me to it.

Dean