Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: RE: [FT] K'V Hulls

Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:54:15 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Adrian Johnson wrote:
> >Ditto the battle of the Falklands, WW1. It was on the route to other
> >intrinsically valuable places, and acted merely as a coaling stop for
> >the RN. So the Germans wanted it...(Falklands 1982 was a different
> >situation. More a stopover on the route to utter loss of
Empire/prestige
> >by the UK and gaining of same by the Argies, at least from the Arg.
point
> >of view...didn't quite work out that way, of course)

> NO NO NO NO NO.  Total myth.	Wasn't about Empire, prestige, strategic
> value, oil rights or any of the other things people have been bandying
> about for two decades...

quite right!

> It was an international penguin conspiracy.

erm ... leave Linus out of this!

the real reason that war was fought was so that maggie thatcher could
ride
a wave of nationalistic fervour into the next election. mi6 knew that
the
argentnians planned to invade; two frigates sent down to the falklands
could have prevented the ware, but then labour would have won the
election. similar to roosevelt (? - my history ain't what it used to be)
and pearl harbour, except his reason was much better (bring the usa into
the war).

Tom

Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: RE: [FT] K'V Hulls