Prev: Re: FTFB Turn Arcs Next: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

RE: [SG2] Found a GAC/1 vs. Gauss SAW Bug...

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 09:47:21 +1000
Subject: RE: [SG2] Found a GAC/1 vs. Gauss SAW Bug...

-----Original Message-----
From: agoodall@interlog.com [mailto:agoodall@interlog.com]
Subject: [SG2] Found a GAC/1 vs. Gauss SAW Bug...

SNIP
>Essentially, a vehicle needs superior Firecon to fire a GAC/1 as good
as a
>squad.

But only if you intend to use it primarily for engaging infantry. A
GAC/1 vs
vehicle target uses range bands of 12" X Vehicle Size; the SAW is stuck
with
Range Bands of a fixed length regardless of target size or type. Then
there
is the damage a SAW can do to a vehicle; limited again compared to the
GAC/1. And then too, the impact of the GAC vs infantry is d8 compared to
the
SAW d12. Horses for courses IMHO.

Strikes me that there are generally two predominant vehicle design
philosophies in the game circle. Firstly, there is the approach of
getting
best bang for buck. This involves the calculation of what is the very
best
effectiveness for weapon combination. Using a DS points costing seems to
be
reasonably effective for this (yes I know there are some differences
between
vehicle design in DS and SG). The other is to produce a vehicle design
with
a characteristic flavour that enhances your favourite background/army
type.
Hey, if your infantry squads use a Rotary MG is reasonably follows that
AFVs
will use the same or similar weapon system. eg M-60 for Infantry MAG58
on
AFVs.

Cheers,

Owen G

Prev: Re: FTFB Turn Arcs Next: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)