Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: [FT] Railgun/Fuel Chat Results

Loactions of Stars (was RE: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT)

From: "Moody, Danny M." <DMoody@b...>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:28:22 -0600
Subject: Loactions of Stars (was RE: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT)

On Friday, 27 November 1998 12:01, Thomas Barclay
[SMTP:Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca] wrote:
> Michael spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
> What is CHView and what would the output be? JPG? GIF? Do you have
> the current system list (and is it affected by anything Jon T just
> contributed?)

"ChView is intended as a three-dimensional aid to: viewing some of the
nearer stars of our galaxy; navigating the distances between them;
accessing basic information (and updating what we know); and, hopefully,
having some fun. Data files updated to Hipparcos distances currently
provide nearly 8,500 stars and other celestial objects believed to lie
within 150 light-years (ly) of Earth, in a 300-ly diameter sphere.
Future plans include modules for selecting a star (or multiple star
system) and, based on available data and known astronomical
relationships, for creating your own star system (of planets, moons,
asteroids, Kuiper belt, Oort cloud/cometary halo, and even human
colonies or space communities), for voyaging in faster-than-light (FTL)
"starships", and the like."
It can be found at http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~jaymin/chview/.

The latest CHView data files use the Hipparcos data - the most recent
and most accurate wrt distances and location of stars.

This is a listing of all stars <10 ly from Terra:

>From		      To		   Distance
Earth-Sol	     Proxima Centauri	  4.22214
Earth-Sol	     A. Centauri3	  4.45703
Earth-Sol	     Barnard's Star	  5.98041
Earth-Sol	     Wolf 359		  7.782
Earth-Sol	     Lalande 21185	  8.30947
Earth-Sol	     Sirius2		  8.61066
Earth-Sol	     Luyten 726-8	  8.78784
Earth-Sol	     Ross 154		  9.69588

None of them, except for ACent, would make really good sites for
habitable planets.

At 15ly, you get a only couple useful systems (Tau Ceti, 61 Cygni).
At 25ly, you get a good number (Xi Ursae Majoris, etc), maybe about a
dozen and a half.

So, I would postulate this (assuming that most worlds are earth-type (to
allow more DSII games)):

Core Worlds:
	Sol (G2V)
	Centaurus (G2V)
	Barnard's Star (M3V)

Inner Colonies: (out to about 25ly from Sol)
	includes-
	Beta Hydri (G1IV)
	61 Cygni (K3V)
	Tau Ceti (G8V)
	Delta Pavonis (G5V)
	82 Eridani (G5V)
	Procyon (F5V)
	Xi Bootis (G8V)
	Xi Ursae Majoris (G0V)
	...and others

Outworlds: (worlds beyond 25ly from Sol)
	...other worlds

It would not be to difficult to whip up a CHView file with systems
labled for FT.	The only question that realy needs to be answered is:
what is the speed/endurance of FT's FTL drives?

vargr1							 UPP-8D9B85
---------------------------- Omnia dicta fortiora, si dicta latina.
Meyers-Briggs personality type: ENTJ		    vargr1@jcn1.com
"...the ENTJ is not one to be trifled with."	  dmoody@bridge.com

Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: [FT] Railgun/Fuel Chat Results