Prev: RE: [FT] Railgun Goals II Next: Re: Kra'vak Railguns III

RE: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:55:25 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Railgun Goals

Tim spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> >Now, i'd suggest for a raking mode, roll to beat range, use the same
> >multiplier, but for the larger RGs (Class 2+), roll double the
> >above # of dice separately, thus making multiple class 1 shots
> >effectively and DON'T give the rerolls for damage (lower energy
> >projectiles) or range. This kind of railgun fire may be totally
> >blocked by armour.
>
> The mode you describe is more like 'double shotting' than 'raking',
> firing two cannon balls or HVP's out at the same time.
> More mass in projectiles, lower velocity and range.

yes, that is roughly it. Rolling the dice individually limits your
range to 6" (since you deny the rerolls on range also in this mode).
large damage would be getting hits on all the dice. (Since there are
twice as many)

> Its behaviour profile should be lower range limit large damage
multiplier.

> If you rake and double shot at close range its usually game
> over for a sailing ship or in our setting spaceship.

That makes sense.

> I don't buy this trashcan/shotgun concept but we'll agree to disagree.

It supports an interesting close in/far out mechanic mix. Call it
shotgun, call it high volume rapid fire, and as for the trashcan,
call it lower-volume higher velocity fire. And (as always) YMMV, and
you can do what you like. :)

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: [FT] Railgun Goals II Next: Re: Kra'vak Railguns III