Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL] RE: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [FT] Railgun Goals II

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:58:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Sean spake thusly upon matters weighty:

Well, here is an example

Say we went with roll to beat range (trashcan mode) with whatever
multiplier (double?) we thought sensible, allowing rerolls on damage
and range. This kind of railgun fire is only half blocked by armour.
Class	Fire	Damage	Arcs
Class 1 1d6	1d6		2		usable for PDS
Class 2 2d6	2d6		1		not
Class 3 3d6	3d6		1		not

Now, i'd suggest for a raking mode, roll to beat range, use the same
multiplier, but for the larger RGs (Class 2+), roll double the
above # of dice separately, thus making multiple class 1 shots
effectively and DON'T give the rerolls for damage (lower energy
projectiles) or range. This kind of railgun fire may be totally
blocked by armour.

So, you can fire your class 2 as a trashcan shot out to say 24"
barring rerolls, but will average 14". It'll do 2d6 damage (an
average of 3.5 to armour and 3.5 past armour). Fire the same gun in
a raking fire mode at close range, your average range will be 7"
(since you are rolling d6 individually), a maximum range of 12", but
your damage could be as much as 6d6, but it will all be applied
against armour and won't get re-rolls for damage.

What thinkest thou? Note: I am not speculating on point cost or on
mass - these are matters for the more constructionally inclined.

> Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca> wrote:
>
> >How about multiple modes? A Raking/Volume mode which gives you good
> >hit/damage potential, but spreads the damage so armour acts more
> >effectively (more lower energy projectiles) and a Piercing/Impact
> >mode which gives you long range, good one-hit penetration vs armour,
> >but less aggregate damage?
>
> A very interesting idea, but can it be done without overcomplicating
the
> entire thing?
>
> Schoon

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL] RE: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT Next: RE: [FT] Railgun Goals II