Prev: RE: [SG2] EW & Artillery Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

RE: [SG2] EW & Artillery

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 18:47:16 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] EW & Artillery

Two points:

1.  Allow EW units to jam other EW units.  If I'm trying to call for
artillery, my first action is to get my EW team attached to my command
squad to target the enemy EW team that's causing all the trouble.  I
think
this is actually covered in the rules - if you check the EW section (I
think it's around page 52 in the book, but I'm going from memory), EW
units
can do about 4 different types of things - and I think one of them is
targeting other EW units.

2.  How 'bout this - use the EW vs. comms roll with the dice imbalance
as
it is.	The comms. roll must be successful to get support at all.  If
the
EW roll beats the comms. roll by less than double, the deviation
distance
for the support fire is DOUBLED.  If the EW roll beats the comms. roll
by
double or more, the support fire is LOST.  This represents the EW attack
being partially or fully successful.  And it still only requires one
dice
roll - to keep it simple.

Adrian

>> From: Brian Burger
>> >We quickly discovered, however, that there are _no_ rules for EW
jamming
>> >of fire-support calls. Calling fire support uses a different game
>> >mechanism from regular communication rolls, such as those used by
command
>> >squads attempting to pass activations to squads.
>>
>> This SEEMS pretty straight forward to me at least. The attempt to
call for
>> support is described on page 44 as a Communication "requires an
action
to be
>> spent on communicating the request...". So I'd be just rolling the EW
die vs
>> the request for arty die. If the EW die is higher than teh support
request
>> then the support call doesn't get through.
>>

>the only problem here is that calling fire uses smaller die, usually,
than
>regular communication rolls. Calling fire uses a d8 as standard, or a
d6
>if you're skipping a level of command (eg squad leader calling for
>company-level mortars. A plt leader calling for the same mortars would
get
>the d8.)
>
>An EW unit, on the other hand, rolls based on systems quality (d6/8/10
for
>BAS/ENH/SUP) and can often spare a chit (especially in small games)to
give
>a boost to the die rolled. A SUP EW committing two chits to a jamming
>attempt rolls a d12 - vs at most a d8, usually. Artillery callers can
>commit 'Support Request' chits for a similar boost, but once you use an
SR
>chit, it's gone for the game, whereas the EW system gets three EW chits
>every turn....
>
>OTOH, artillery calls represent more that just the radio call - they
>represent that, giving the battery accurate co-ordinates, and getting
the
>battery to devote it's attention to those co-ordinates. If the EW sys
>garbles even part of that communication, then the fire isn't coming
down.
>"sir, the fire co-ordinates 2 Plt just passed on are for a spot in the
>middle of the lake!""Jamming again, wait until you get clear
>co-ordinates...or that fool Lt can't read his PCC's map worth a
damn..."

Prev: RE: [SG2] EW & Artillery Next: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT