Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: Railgun Goals II

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: devans@u...
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:36:25 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

At last, something I can comment on... ;->=

***Discarding Sabot allows the use of a short, large diameter
barrel...***

Well, the discarding part is probably 'useless', as the idea is to make
large diameter shot-in-the-barrel a small diameter projectile-in-air to
reduce drag. No drag in space. And, the discarded sabot is discarded
mass,
probably off target. On the other hand, you might want the projectile of
small diameter to punch through the exterior of the ship.

EM railguns always assume ferrous rings for the induced magnetic charge,
but I'm not familiar with the electrical properties of uranium. Would
depleted uranium (a metal) be similar to iron as far as magnetism? Would
there BE depleted uranium in a fusion powered world? ;->= Aren't some of
the rare earths near uranium in density, and near iron vis-a-vis
magnetism?

In fact, DO inquiring minds want to know? Is this still giving ideas for
Kra'vak rg's, or has it gone to far off topic?

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: Railgun Goals II