Prev: Re: [GZG-L] Next: Archives are now online for GZG-L

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: "Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist..." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:44:19 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

>>My concept of the 'K' railgun.
>>
>>The 'K' rail gun is a device that throws a stream of small dense
>>'BBs' across the path of the target ship.
>
>One point in favor of larger projectiles; small caliber HiVeloc rounds
tend
>to vaporize on impact.  We use a layer of metal foil to protect
satellites
>and space stations against micrometeors today.  Tanks in WWII used thin
>metal plates and spacers to deflect small caliber AP rounds.

Slightly different things, these layers of foil (MLIs) and tank armor
plates.

Aside from that, the MLIs are not used for micrometeor protection.
Rather,
they are anti-radiation shielding and assist with temperature control.

(MLI = multi-layer insulation; this is the stuff that is deteriorating
on
the Hubble after 7+ years in space that the astronauts on the last
Servicing
Mission [Feb'97] had to fashion bandaids for using their onboard repair
kits)

Mk
-
During the run-and-fight-and-run-again battle through this forest of
horror,
she is finally cornered. Her weapons have been left deep in the bodies
of the
slain or broken against the granite-hard scales of these snakes that are
not
snakes. Her stand to the death must be fought here. Though her only
weapons
are her hands and her deep and wide knowledge of the slayers, she does
not
fear them. They will die. Of this she is sure.

Prev: Re: [GZG-L] Next: Archives are now online for GZG-L